About Ross Shafer - Best-selling Author and Hilarious Change & Customer-Experience Expert:
Ross Shafer has the most peculiar background of any speaker on CHANGE. He has authored nine business books - yet also won international stand-up comedy competitions. He’s earned six TV Emmy's as a network talk and game show host - yet credits his success to re-selling bicycles at age 13. He flipped cars at 15 - and flipped homes at 18. After college at 21, he started buying and selling companies. The common denominator - a burning pursuit of excellence that has driven Ross to the top of every field he’s entered.
Today, Ross is one of the most sought after keynote speakers and seminar leaders on the subjects of Customer Urgency and Empathy, Personal Motivation, Reinvention, and Market Relevance. He coaches leaders and teams on how to cross-pollinate innovative ideas about emerging trends, shifting buying habits - and the motivation of your workforce during mergers and acquisitions.
Ross grew up in the Pacific Northwest and graduated from the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, Washington where he studied business management - and played varsity football (linebacker). After college, he took a job as a training manager for a department store (Yard Birds) - and was able to save $10,000. He launched his life as an entrepreneur - and became the owner/manager of America’s only Stereo and Pet Shop in the small town of Puyallup, Washington (population 5,000 at the time).
Since his early teens, Ross has been obsessed with understanding “Who succeeds? Who fails? And Why?” His confidence flourished when he discovered there were specific blueprints for success in every job - and every industry. That understanding led to his noteworthy achievements in business, television broadcasting, book writing, professional speaking (CPAE) - and even stand-up comedy. His wildly diverse career choices have allowed Ross to communicate complex ideas with great fun - and an “everyman” quality.
His clients include 73 of the Fortune 100… as well as a broad array of Associations. What most people don’t know is that Ross may have sparked the explosion of the entertainment cooking channels when he wrote a funny best-selling book, Cook Like a Stud (38 recipes men can prepare in the garage using their own tools). Not bad for a guy who played college football (pre-concussion-era helmets) - and who still aspires to get his hair right.
The father of Adam, Ryan and Lauren - Ross lives in Denver, Colorado.
What Ross Shafer Talks About:
Are You Still Relevant? How to Future-Proof Your Company & Yourself
In this fun and enlightening keynote, you will learn how to future-proof your company while energizing your team members. Your attendees will leave with the tools to achieve a 2-year lead on their competition. Ross encourages your audience to accept that relevance is a moving target. Securing your growth, in this ever-evolving economy – requires the vigilance to respond to constant changes in customer (and employee) expectations. Ross unveils inspiring case studies that span the landscape of retail, manufacturing, B2B, construction, tech and healthcare.
- Your Future Will Remain Secure if You Always Matter to Your Teams, Your Customers, & Your Clients – Being current is far different from being relevant. Relevant means taking action to continue to matter to your constituents. What do your clients/customers want from you in 2020? How can you retain valuable employees with so many tempting job opportunities available to them? Relevant leaders are able to sustain growth because they are vigilant, fearless – and can adapt more quickly than their competition.
- Why We Must “Marry” Humanity with Technology – Technology will continue to drive new profits and improve complex processes. Today, our customers and clients will communicate with us via chat, email, text, social media – and web conferencing. But we cannot allow our humanity to atrophy as we embrace tech. Humanity tells a better sales/brand story. Humanity heals errors inadvertently caused by technology. Ross underscores how to integrate emotion and curiosity with your technology efforts – to make relationships “stickier.”
- Adaptive & Fearless Means Being Able to Innovate Under Pressure – Your competitors stay awake at night – scheming to take you down. That kind of pressure can often paralyze your teams, making them unable to “hatch” fresh angles and processes. Ross teaches a bulletproof technique for staying ahead of your competition, while invigorating your organization to harvest an endless supply of new ideas. Professional sports teams watch countless hours of game film to spot the weaknesses of their competitors. So, we must do the same – find the flaws and foibles of our competition by harvesting business intelligence. More than ever you need to relentlessly check your blind spots to see who is gunning for your business. Ross will reveal his top five tactics.
POW VS. WOW: Cracking the Code on Customer Loyalty
The fallout of the On-demand economy has caused customer expectations to change. They can get anything they want – anytime they want it – which has forever altered how they judge your performance. In this highly entertaining and inspiring presentation, Ross will share the simple blueprint he developed to help his clients dramatically improve their customer experience scores. (EXAMPLE: one of his clients raised their JD Power scores 21 points in 90 days).
- WOW-ing Customers Doesn’t Work Anymore – We’ve all been told that we are supposed to “WOW” the customer. The WOW moments are a nice surprise (in the moment) – but WOWs don’t guarantee loyalty. CSAT & CES Customer Metrics support that WOW-ing customers does NOT grow loyalty. We need to be far more aware of our POW moments. A POW moment is when the customer suffers anxiety about a possible confrontation with you. A POW moment happens when you don’t deliver on your brand promise. A POW moment is when you blame the customer for a problem. POWs are so formidable that our research shows five (5) WOW moments can be completely erased by one (1) POW.
- Customer Expectations Have Been Set by Amazon – Think about it. You will probably never have human contact with anyone at Amazon – but literally everyone buys from them! People are loyal to on-demand companies because every transaction is perceived to be reliable, dependable, and friction-free. Amazon, Netflix, Apple, and Google have virtually erased all of the POW moments. Their famously friction-free experiences are so impressionable that even B2B companies are influenced by these e-commerce companies.
- Why Complaints are Your Friend – If you only fix customer complaints, your score will go up. If your employees can provide friction-free solutions – you will regain your customer, client, and member loyalty. Ross will show your team how to seek out and eliminate the devastating POW moments.
- Here’s Why POW vs. WOW Works so Well – Using the POW vs. WOW comparison is easily understood by both entry-level employees and seasoned leaders; which makes the POW vs. WOW method so simple to teach. With this system, everyone is instantly on the same page – you’ve only just heard about it, but now, you will never forget it.
Nobody Moved Your Cheese – Why You Must be Accountable for Your Own Success
Who Moved My Cheese? was a popular book about how two mice dealt with catastrophic change. Ross believes that Nobody Moved Your Cheese is a more practical, real-world approach. In this high energy and hilarious keynote –perfect for setting up your opening tone or ramping up your conference’s closing message–Ross will teach your audience that when you are the architect of your own life, you will have more time, money and happiness.
- No Excuses. No Blame. No Surrender – We can no longer blame “government regulation,” “the economy” or “the competition” – or “changes in management.” Focus on what you can control. Personal growth and opportunity always emerge from realizing that nobody cares more about your career and success than YOU do. Be accountable – and you won’t have to wait for anybody to elevate your position in work and life.
- What is More Important than Networking? – Networking can be valuable but don’t bank your career upon “who you know.” True success comes from “who knows YOU.” Become a world class performer – and you will be known as the go-to person in your field. You will be able to transform clients into unpaid spokespeople for you and your organization. Exponential growth happens when your biggest fans insist their friends do business with you.
- How Paying Attention to the Small Stuff Returns Big Rewards – Some people say “I’m not a detail person.” – then you need to collaborate with someone who is “detailed.” Paying attention to nuances and staying “on task” leads to respect from your co-workers and allows you to become a trusted advisor to your customers/clients/patients. You’ll learn how the best-in-class organizations accomplish this feat.
- The Life You Dream About is Closer Than You Think – Ross’ personal story will inspire your team members. He went from small town pet shop manager… to Emmy award winning TV host… to renowned business author and Hall of Fame Speaker. By learning to dispel self-imposed limitations – you can ‘win with what you already have.’ Ross urges you to believe in your current inventory of skills – yet redirect them to serve your new aspirations.
- Blueprints Shorten Your Distance to Success – We hear many people say, “I’m NOT happy – I need to reinvent myself!” They recognize something has to change but they don’t have a plan. An idea without a plan is simply daydreaming. Ross will show you how to find an already existing blueprint for success in any profession or career.
- Resilience is the Cure for Disappointment – Things will go wrong. Processes will fail. Friends may undermine you. Ross encourages you to expect disappointment and create a plan “B.” Ask anyone who is successful and they will tell you, “I was resilient in the face of failure. In fact, I needed to fail in order to take myself to a higher level.” When Ross discusses his own failures and how he overcame them (personally and professionally) – you will learn how to conquer your own.
Ross was articulate, funny and engaging. He was the perfect fit for what Avid needed. He drove home some wonderful messages about change, personal development - and the ever-shifting business marketplace.
View Similar Speakers
For more information about this speaker:
Call toll-free on 1-866-727-7555
Or, email your request.