Dr. Mary Kelly
About Commander/Dr. Mary Kelly - Author, International Speaker, and Leadership Economist:
Dr. Mary Kelly with a PhD in economics, is an internationally-known economist and expert specializing in the fields of leadership, productivity, communication, she focuses on strategy and tactics that improve productivity and profit growth. Commander Mary Kelly served 25 years in the US Navy as an intelligence and logistics officer, mostly in Asia. She was an HR Director, a chief of police, and she was part of the team that ran Pearl Harbor. Fun and funny, Mary is the best-selling author of 11 books, and her latest, Why Leaders Fail and the 7 Prescriptions for Success is used in 9 countries.
Mary's personal and professional accomplishments include:
- US Naval Academy graduate
- PhD in Economics
- Trained over 40,000 military and civilians in multi-cultural environments
- Naval Intelligence Officer
- Assistant Chief Staff Officer
- Taught at US Naval Academy, US Air Force Academy, Hawaii Pacific University
- Programs in leadership, communication, business growth, teamwork, strategic planning, customer service, time management, and project development
- Executive coach for corporate success
Mary is also a member of MENSA and the American Economics Association. She is the recipient of the U.S. Air Force Academy Outstanding Educator and Instructor of the Year awards.
An energetic, engaging, and perceptive leadership author and speaker, Commander Kelly delivers humorous, inspiring, and insightful keynote speeches, offering tools and insights that increase productivity, morale, and profits.
As a consultant she provides creative and insightful problem-solving tools that enable her to transform corporate cultures and structures.
Mary has published 11 books on leadership, productivity, communication, and business growth. Her best-selling book, Master Your World: 10 Dog-Inspired Lessons to Increase Productivity, Profits and Communication launched her international leadership speaking career. Some of her other titles include:
- 15 Ways to Grow your Business in Every Economy
- Money Smart: How Not To Buy Cat Food When You Don’t Own A Cat
- Stop the Barking at Work
- In Case of Emergency, Break Glass!
- 360 Degrees of Leadership: Steering Around the Icebergs
She is also quoted in hundreds of periodicals including Money Magazine, Entrepreneur, the Wall Street Journal, and dozens of business journals.
In her spare time, Mary is active in her community. She is on several local and national boards, and travels internationally for charity work. On the weekends, you can find Mary whitewater rafting, enjoying a glass of red wine, and thinking about running with her dogs.
What Dr. Mary Kelly Talks About:
Top Secret Leadership – Military Leadership You Need Now
Getting people to work together is challenging. Office tension, competition, gossip, personal agendas, and pettiness reduce morale and productivity.
Do you ever wonder how the military recruits people from diverse environments and coalesces them into cooperative, fighting teams? Find out how you can use military approaches to enhance communication and teamwork, develop integration, and facilitate a positive work environment.
- Be more productive in less time
- Work together to accomplish more
- Communicate clearly among all levels
- Set and exceed expectations
- Conquer the obstacles that create barriers to effective teamwork
- Cross generational gaps and use the strengths of the people you work with
The military forges cohesive teams and leaders and you can too!
Why Leaders Fail and the 7 Prescriptions for Success
Thousands of leadership programs tell you how to be a great leader. Far fewer delve deeper into the surprisingly common mistakes supervisors, managers, and even CEOs unknowingly make that derail their team’s effectiveness and productivity.
Using real scenarios and examples collected through their combined years of leadership and management expertise, Mary Kelly and Peter Stark examined data from over 100|000 employee surveys to pinpoint the 7 most common reasons some managers fail while others are so successful. Whether in your first year of management or your 30th, Why Leaders Fail shows participants hidden pitfalls and how to avoid them. The program also outlines specific actions that ensure success.
Based on the book of the same title, this content-rich, data-based program is also entertaining and full of actions that participants can use to further develop their leadership skills, outcomes, and organizational morale.
- Gain insight into behaviors that may be sabotaging the loyalty of your direct reports
- Understand why your top talent may not be performing up to their potential
- Gain tools to help you align team goals with the organizational mission
- Gain awareness of how you are perceived by your direct reports, peers, and supervisors
- Forty-nine actionable prescriptions for success
- Free access to a personalized leadership assessment to identify your leadership strengths and weaknesses
Master Your World: 10 Leadership Strategies to Improve Productivity, Profits, and Communication
Leadership is creating a vision as well as executing the strategy. Leadership is also why people, and companies, succeed or fail. Some people believe leadership is limited to the people at the top, but real leadership happens at all levels in every organization. True leaders strategically plan and implement long-term programs to take advantage of talent and increase morale throughout the organization.
Everyone benefits when leaders apply 3 core techniques and then refine them with 7 critical applications. Engaging and immediately applicable, this inspirational program is packed with templates and tools so leaders can achieve optimal results.
- Learn what most employees are not getting from their leaders and managers that they need to be more effective
- Implement actionable items to create cohesive teamwork and better engage those around you
- Improve personal and professional productivity with less stress
- Discover how to best use your networks and relationships to further your influence and your business
- Find the keys to being happier and more productive at work (and at home) by applying the Master Your World techniques
Change is fun for some people but miserable for others. Personality type, job position, seniority, and past experiences all determine how different people react to the idea of changing the way they conduct business. Understanding how people will react and addressing their concerns in advance of implementation can determine the success or failure of the new process.
Change management is a critical part of any organization that leads, manages, or enables people to accept and embraces new processes, technologies, systems, structures, and values. This fun and interactive experience explores how professionals can maximize new opportunities and help others understand the change process.
The intent of effective change management is to:
- Address the concerns and barriers of the people who will need to adopt the new methods
- Address the concerns and trepidation of the supporting roles
- Overcome the uncertainty obstacles that impede necessary change to achieve greater effectiveness.
- Ensure that everyone in the organization is ready, willing, and able to perform their role in the new environment
Outcome: Through an entertaining and interactive session focusing on leadership at all levels, increasing productivity, and how to enact change, participants will understand why the program is being implemented, how it is going to benefit them, and why adapting to the new system is in their best self-interest. We overcome ambiguities, barriers, resistance, and reluctance to change behavior and methodologies.
Leading Business Growth
You are wonderful with clients, you understand what you need to do to stay current in your field, and you have a great staff, but running a business is tough. Working in the financial profession today involves all kinds of other tasks as well. In this fast-paced, dynamic, and fun session, Mary incorporates workable solutions for today’s tough business problems. Learn how to maximize your time and resources for greater productivity and profits.
- Learn how to put together a dynamite, well-organized business plan that defines your business strategy with Mary’s easy-to-use, fill-in-the-blank templates
- Discover how to use your business relationships to further your business with a structured referral system
- Be able to track the strengths and weaknesses of your teams to best assign tasks, align goals, and achieve optimal outcomes
- Implement actionable items to create cohesive teamwork, improve personal and professional productivity, and better engage those around you using a daily tracking tool
- Eleven other actions that grow your business
Mary is dynamic, knowledgeable and effective. Her academic and professional credentials are impressive. Mary delivered award winning leadership and communication instruction to more than 200 members of the ULGT. Her lifetime of high-level experience keeps everyone interested and engaged. Thanks Mary!
Steven Hansen, Utah Local Governments Trust
View Similar Speakers
For more information about this speaker:
Call toll-free on 1-866-727-7555
Or, email your request.